The Member of The Wedding

The Member of The Wedding

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Work for 7 February 2014

I know we didn't use as much time beginning O'Connor's The Artificial Nigger.  You will start the note taking process on this story and finish it in class so you can write the response to the prompt for Tuesday Feb. 11th.






Make a list of all  the examples of initiation events and the page they are on.  An initiation event is the first time in his or her life a character has done something.


Failure to do this results in your not being  able to work with the class.  I am afraid I am going to deduct points for late work.  This unless you have a legitimate reason for not doing it.  Sometimes I think that I and a few members of the class are keeping up.  You cannot accuse me of giving too much work.  I may be just a bit too accommodating!


This is how you might do this work.


Write notes from pages 105 to 116; stop at last paragraph p. 116.






The Artificial Nigger:
Initiation Events
Mr. Head

p.103-4.  Mr Head considers himself at last wise enough to be "a suitable guide for the young."
p.105  He is going to teach his grandson his first lesson:  to see everything in the city so that he would be willing to stay home in the suburbs for the rest of his life!


Nelson
p. 104  He has a new suit and hat in bixes on the floor ready for him to jump in to.  His first suit?  What's the occasion?
p.105 Nelson is going to the city with his grandfather for the first time on the train.  Nelson believes he was born there!  He is ten.


No comments:

Post a Comment