The Member of The Wedding

The Member of The Wedding

Friday, January 31, 2014

Work for 4 February 2014

I know you are all glad that I did not give you another story to do.  We will begin The Artificial Nigger  in class on Tuesday.


What I want you to do is added on to the writing you already did (do not throw this away!),
write about what you perceive to be the 'Moments of Grace' that both Shiftlet and Mrs. Crater
show in the story.  Read over the story and continue with the listing that we began in class.
This is a form of note-taking that I think you need to learn when you are  reading for the purpose of analyzing writing.




I think the two column page works best, so you can see the similarities and differences in their      manipulative behavior. Or You can do it in a linear way like I did it below.


Here is how we started:


Mrs. Crater
Plays naive but  is crafty because she can lie to get what she wants.
Lies to get Shiftlet to marry her daughter about her age.
Does not indicate what's wrong with her, but ignores her behavior.
She holds up the farm, barn, and property if he is willing to stay and work fixing it up.


Mr. Shiftlet     
Acts and talks as if the farm is great to get what he wants:  the car in the barn and his freedom.
Tells Mrs. Crater, he fix anything to win her favor.  Will not take money to prove his pure heart!
Is even willing to sleep in the car to be near it and stay on the property.




  • Finish the rest of the story citing details of their values
  • Then how they backfire and hurt them in the end.                                                    

No comments:

Post a Comment